Posts for tag: Bunion Care
Bunions are bony protrusions that form at the big toe’s base portion. In some individuals, they could cause extreme discomfort and pain, particularly when walking. Failing to manage a bunion will cause it to worsen over time. This means that prompt diagnosis and proper treatment from our podiatrists here at New England Foot & Ankle Specialists in Reading, MA, is important. Until then, the following at-home care tips could help minimize your symptoms.
Do Proper Foot Exercises
Done frequently and properly, foot exercises can help in easing pain. Since bunions usually worsen due to a lack of stability in the tendons, ligaments, and joints, exercising the affected foot could aid in making it more secure and structurally sound. Ask your podiatrist in Reading, MA, for specific exercises that can help with your bunions.
Proper Pain Relief and General Foot Care Guidelines
- Lose excess weight, if you’re obese or overweight, to take off undue pressure on the feet.
- For more severe pain, consider taking over-the-counter analgesics.
- If your bunion is inflamed, raise your foot to ease pain and swelling. Keep it elevated for at least 15 minutes every hour or two.
- Only wear shoes that have significant toe box space to accommodate your bunion and a properly fitted heel counter to support your foot at the back.
- Consider wearing a splint at night to keep your big toe correctly aligned as you sleep.
- Wear to spacers to separate your deformed big toe from your second toe. This will likewise help realign the structure of your foot while keeping pressure off your big toe when moving around.
It is also very crucial to point out that these at-home bunion care tips will only be useful for managing your symptoms to a certain degree. This means that they don’t get rid of the actual bunion, but make the symptoms more manageable.
Talk to Us For More Information, Questions, or Advice on Bunions
Book a consultation with your podiatrists in Reading, MA of New England Foot & Ankle Specialists by dialing (781) 944-4044.