Our skilled team at New England Foot & Ankle Specialists are your podiatrists to call when you need diabetic foot care in Reading, MA. If you have diabetes, you should see a foot doctor at least once a year for an exam and whenever you have an ingrown toenail or another foot concern. Read about diabetic foot care and contact us when you need a podiatrist.
Diabetes and Your Feet
It is important to take extra care of your feet when you have diabetes. Diabetics can have decreased sensitivity in their extremities due to nerve damage, and diabetes can also reduce blood flow to the feet. This means any healing that needs to happen in the area will happen slower and make you more vulnerable to infections and non-healing wounds.
Diabetic Foot Care
Diabetic foot care is about paying your feet a little extra attention every day to prevent complications that can lead to amputation. To take the best care of your feet as a diabetic, you should:
- Inspect your feet each day for any small abrasions or sores.
- Wash your feet every day with lukewarm water, mild soap, and a soft washcloth, then dry them completely.
- Moisturize your feet every day, focusing on the heel to prevent cracking of the skin. Don't moisturize in between your toes, try to keep those spaces dry.
- Maintain your toenails. Cut them straight across regularly to prevent ingrown toenails and potential infections.
- Don't try to treat corns and calluses by yourself -- always seek help from your podiatrist.
- Wear clean, dry socks every day, and avoid socks with tight bands around the ankle because they can affect your circulation.
- Rotate shoes daily if you can to let them completely dry out before your next wear.
Do these foot care tasks every day and contact your podiatrist whenever you need diabetic foot care.
Get Diabetic Foot Care in Reading, MA, Today
Our podiatrists at New England Foot & Ankle Specialists are here for you when you need a foot doctor or diabetic foot care in Reading, MA. When you have diabetes you need to see a podiatrist at least once a year. Contact us for an appointment at (781) 944-4044.